Thursday, April 16, 2020

Online Character Sheet - part2

Second update on the character sheet.  I still haven't pushed it to Roll20 yet but I've been testing it by making characters and so far I like how it works.
As I was playing with it a bit more, I made some changes to the layout and I cleaned up a lot of the style sheet code I wasn't using.  There's obviously a lot of cut and paste code in these templates, and that's not a bad thing since its exactly how I started figuring out how to build character sheet files.

Trail of Cthulhu
I also decided that I wanted to lock down the base stats so that they didn't get messed up during play.  I was worried about it happening with online sheets as opposed to paper sheets where you could see the erased value if you made a mistake, but I hadn't I really though about fixing it.  The first I noticed this feature while playing the Trail of Cthulhu on Roll20.  You can mess with your skill pools but the max skill remains locked until you press on the little lock icon and then you can add skillpoints as your character advances.  That works really nicely and there is also a button that refreshes the skill pools which is handy for cleanup too.
That's pretty sweet and I wanted to do the same thing, add a lock button by the stats or something, but I looked at the code and it was too much for me to deal with at this time and I gave up on implementing this idea

And then a very short time later I thought of how to do it.  I was building a stone path and it just popped into my head.  I could use the tab feature to create a special update page which would house the stats that you want to lock down. I even had the tab code already in place.  Nice one unconscious brain.  To do this I just needed to move the stat strings to the new page and create some non-editable fields to display those values on the main sheet.  This works really well actually.  You can flip between play mode and update mode very quickly but you won't accidentally change your core HP or Dex mid session now.  Its not as sexy as the in page lock button, but its good enough.  There's a lot of empty space still on this new update tab so I thought I could add some tables showing the level up entitlements, and maybe even a text box for some notes or something.  Eventually I should do some sort of automation since it would not be hard to show leveling info by class, but for now I want to limit the scope creep a bit and just get it up on the site.

I have recently started played a game using the roll 20 official 5th edition sheet and used its 'Charactermancer' feature to both create a character and to level him up and it is pretty impressive.  Charactermancer is a tool that you can call when you first start building the character and it will walk you though the build.  Also when you have enough XP for the next level it adds a 'level up' button for you to walk you through that.   I was able to do almost everything (within the SRD any way) during level up and it was pretty intuitive.  I'm very impressed with that tool considering how many options there are in D&D.  Playing with the sheet was nice as well and they have some have some really good roll templates too.  There is no way I would build something like that but its pretty sweet.
The whole Roll20 5e sheet is pretty nice actually and the level of automation is impressive.  The Roll templates are good and deal with the advantage/disadvantage thing very well by simply displaying your roll as two separate results in two colours.  That's a great way to do that compared with having to have two rollers or some other input mechanism.  You just ignore it when its not relevant.  I like they way they add the damage roll as a button on the result as well.
I am still on not super interested in the rollers but I can see how they can be done well and add to the game play.


No comments:

Post a Comment